community-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Help finding missing talk
Date Sat, 22 Feb 2014 19:32:30 GMT
On Feb 19, 2014, at 3:20 PM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> On 02/19/2014 03:12 PM, Suresh Marru wrote:
>> Hi Rich et al,
>>
>> As we briefly discussed on IRC, I see this talk[1] on Thrift use case from Airavata
got lost in Big Data track. I reached out to thrift PMC for alternative thrift talks and Jake
Farrell volunteered to co-presnet if this RESTless talk is selected (making it more general
with Airavata as one of the use case). Since there is vacant slot in track 10 on day 1, can
we have it there? It seems to be reviewed by 7 reviewers with decent rating.

> I need to start by giving my canned response that I'm giving to everyone:
>
> We had 250 talk submissions. We had 162 talks, which we then expanded to 168 to fit in
yet more content. Even then, we had to eliminate 80 talks, many (most) of which were worthy
of running if we had had more space.

> I'm very reluctant to open the floor to lobbying for individual talks, because that way
lies madness, hurt feelings, and resentment.

> Having said that, you mention that we have an open slot.
>
> We expanded Monday into a tenth track to accommodate the Fast Feather Track. We  put
two additional talks there because 1) the speakers were already going to be at the conference
and, 2) because of my miscommunication with Angela we sent acceptance notices to them when
they were already marked as rejected.

> We are already receiving cancel notices from folks whose plans have changed since the
CFP and are not able to attend, and if we don't need the tenth room, we will slim back down
to 9.

> So, with that context, I'll say that I'm willing to have this conversation on this list,
but I wanted to be completely up front about my extreme reluctance and the reasons for it.

> Discuss amongst yourselves.

With no further comments on this thread, any objections to schedule this talk?

Suresh