community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Help finding missing talk
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2014 20:20:57 GMT

On 02/19/2014 03:12 PM, Suresh Marru wrote:
> Hi Rich et al,
>
> As we briefly discussed on IRC, I see this talk[1] on Thrift use case from Airavata got
lost in Big Data track. I reached out to thrift PMC for alternative thrift talks and Jake
Farrell volunteered to co-presnet if this RESTless talk is selected (making it more general
with Airavata as one of the use case). Since there is vacant slot in track 10 on day 1, can
we have it there? It seems to be reviewed by 7 reviewers with decent rating.

I need to start by giving my canned response that I'm giving to everyone:

We had 250 talk submissions. We had 162 talks, which we then expanded to
168 to fit in yet more content. Even then, we had to eliminate 80 talks,
many (most) of which were worthy of running if we had had more space.

I'm very reluctant to open the floor to lobbying for individual talks,
because that way lies madness, hurt feelings, and resentment.

Having said that, you mention that we have an open slot.

We expanded Monday into a tenth track to accommodate the Fast Feather
Track. We  put two additional talks there because 1) the speakers were
already going to be at the conference and, 2) because of my
miscommunication with Angela we sent acceptance notices to them when
they were already marked as rejected.

We are already receiving cancel notices from folks whose plans have
changed since the CFP and are not able to attend, and if we don't need
the tenth room, we will slim back down to 9.

So, with that context, I'll say that I'm willing to have this
conversation on this list, but I wanted to be completely up front about
my extreme reluctance and the reasons for it.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon