community-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon Community track
Date Fri, 14 Feb 2014 17:51:05 GMT

On 02/14/2014 06:03 AM, Marcel Offermans wrote:
> On 14 Feb 2014, at 14:39 pm, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:

>>> My strong +1 to that -- a panel with a cool moderator is worth a couple
>>> of presos in my book ;-)
>> Do you have a specific topic or question that a panel could address? Needs to be
something that there's actually some room for debate, so that it's not a bunch of "me too".
> A couple of questions come to mind, based on discussions on our mailing lists:
>
> 1) Communities at Apache are free to choose either Subversion or Git as their version
control system. Git and more recently, Github integration, has been a hot topic. This warrants
a few questions to panel members, such as how have you setup your workflow as far as working
on bugfixes, codechanges and accepting patches goes?

> 2) Apache is all about source releases. This is what we vote on and make available on
our distribution server and mirrors. At the same time, a lot of projects also provide convenience
binaries to many different channels. Quite a few projects, inside and out of Apache, are adoption
fast release cycles, where it's not uncommon to have a weekly release. What's your take on
this and how could Apache facilitate such a process better?

> 3) If you were approached by a community that was currently working outside of Apache
and they would ask you what the benefits are of bringing their project to Apache, what would
be your response? Also, where could such a community get more information about Apache and
the incubator?

> I'm sure these questions will trigger some responses, controversy or other questions.
:)

> Greetings, Marcel

Marcel, all great topics! :)

MzK

"Cats do not have to be shown how to have a good time,
  for they are unfailing ingenious in that respect."
                                        -- James Mason