community-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: How can we support a faster release cadence?
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2014 00:03:01 GMT

On Feb 10, 2014, at 1:26 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2014, at 2:52 PM, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> It can be fun getting your changes released every week and getting feedback
>> from users...
>

> Again, look at this from the PoV of a truly volunteer
> contributor... If he/she needs to constantly watch the
> list to make sure that they are able to vote on a release,
> it becomes a job, a task, rather than fun.
>
> How "welcoming" would a project be for you to join, for
> fun, if it *required* you keep track of it as if it was
> your job?
>
> In addition to nurturing the present community, you
> also need to nurture the future community.

+1000

I am on the POI PMC and we seem to be able to keep around the 3-5 active PMC level, but to
do so requires bringing in additional PMC whenever we see a good candidate. Some last and
some don't. We've been around for over 12 years. No one has been around the whole time. We
release 2-4 times a year - usually one final and the rest are betas. We have 7 day release
votes. A high cadence would kill us.

Regards,
Dave