community-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Keynote suggestion: NIST Big Data Working Group
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2014 14:46:16 GMT
Hi All,

I have solicited an abstract from Prof. Geoffrey Fox [1] at Indiana University for keynote
ideas at ACNA 14. Here is an idea:

-----
Topic: Implications of the NIST Big Data Working Group  Apache Big Data Software Stack

Over the last six months, the Big Data public working group http://bigdatawg.nist.gov/home.php
 set up by NIST has collected 60 different from use cases; 51 general and 9 aimed at security
and privacy. It also developed a reference architecture, taxonomy and roadmap. The general
applications all include a summary of current software and analytics and future directions.
We divide these applications by the nature of their data and their computational model deriving
patterns that are compared with the NIST reference architecture and the capabilities of the
current Apache Big Data projects. We suggest taking the patterns ("generic applications")
and providing implementations - using the Apache stack as much as possible -- that can be
used to test both performance and features of the Apache stack and the effectiveness of the
NIST reference architecture. We propose building these patterns on FutureGrid and discuss
this with some very early results.
-------

I think Prof. Fox will draw good audiences and his broader perspectives on technology trends
related to ASF projects will be interesting to the ACNA audience. His MOOC’s are also popular
[2] and might be relevant topic to touch upon as well.

Suresh
[1] - http://www.soic.indiana.edu/people/profiles/fox-geoffrey-charles.shtml
[2] - http://www.soic.indiana.edu/discover/news-events/news/2014/fox-mooc-named-in-10-moocs-for-techies-by-computerworld.shtml