community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Content Committee, ApacheCon 2014
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2013 14:26:11 GMT
To answer a few questions I've received off-list:

As we don't have a signed contract yet, I can't officially announce
anything, but, unofficially things are much as I announced earlier -
April 7-11th, and the venue is Denver, Colorado. (Schedule and
availability has made venue selection difficult - we'll have more
options next year.)

Once again, please understand that we, the ASF, are *ONLY* responsible
for content. Everything else will be handled by the producer. Everything.

So while I really appreciate all of the folks stepping up to volunteer
for other stuff, I won't have anything to give you to do, unless you
want to persuade your employer to throw money at us. Or persuading
interesting people to submit interesting talk proposals. Or if you want
to plan an extracurricular event - in which case you'd need to
coordinate with the producer, and not with me.

I'm concerned that by the end of this I'm going to come across as an
obstructionist, "I don't want your help", unkind person. However, a
MAJOR goal of this conference is to be as hands-off as possible. The
producer owns this conference. They will have permission to use our
trademarks, and a few of us will agree to help them select content.
That's it.

I have no desire to squelch volunteer passion - something that is
usually so hard to come by - this time it's all about the content, and
hopefully we're talking about a very short period of time after the CFP
closes.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com