community-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Stärk <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: [GSoC Mentors] Deadline for Google Code-in 2013 Mentoring Org Apps is Monday, Oct 28th at 19:00 UTC
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2013 06:55:28 GMT
On 2013-10-24 22:34, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 24/10/2013 Ulrich Stärk wrote:
>> I think we have never participated in GCI because the tasks don't match well with
what we do and
>> because mentoring juvenile high-school students is something very different than
mentoring adult
>> college students and probably a lot more time-consuming too.
>
> OpenOffice is the odd project in many respects at the ASF, but it might be that we are
interested.
> OpenOffice alone can easily find dozens of suitable tasks, we have a lot of committers
(including
> teachers, including native speakers of many languages) who don't code but can perfectly
mentor
> acceptable tasks, and our mailing lists see so many things that a teen answering compulsively
and
> writing in all caps won't make news.
>
> I posted a note on the OpenOffice dev list: if we manage to put a reasonable number of
mentors
> together in the allowed short time, I may ask that Apache applies. I realize that other
Apache
> projects have difficulties in finding tasks (on the contrary, OpenOffice cannot easily
find GSOC
> projects since development actions are either too simple -like the ones needed here-
or too
> complex), so I'll ask that Apache applies only if the feedback leaves me reasonably convinced
that
> OpenOffice can find and mentor enough tasks alone.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

If you decide that you want to participate I will submit an org application for the ASF. But
please
tell me no later than monday morning UTC so that I have sufficient time for this. Also, I
might need
some help phrasing some texts that the application might require so somebody on
IRC/Skype/$some_other_im to help me with this will be highly appreciated.

Uli