community-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: [GSoC Mentors] Deadline for Google Code-in 2013 Mentoring Org Apps is Monday, Oct 28th at 19:00 UTC
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2013 20:34:43 GMT
On 24/10/2013 Ulrich Stärk wrote:
> I think we have never participated in GCI because the tasks don't match well with what
we do and
> because mentoring juvenile high-school students is something very different than mentoring
adult
> college students and probably a lot more time-consuming too.

OpenOffice is the odd project in many respects at the ASF, but it might
be that we are interested. OpenOffice alone can easily find dozens of
suitable tasks, we have a lot of committers (including teachers,
including native speakers of many languages) who don't code but can
perfectly mentor acceptable tasks, and our mailing lists see so many
things that a teen answering compulsively and writing in all caps won't
make news.

I posted a note on the OpenOffice dev list: if we manage to put a
reasonable number of mentors together in the allowed short time, I may
ask that Apache applies. I realize that other Apache projects have
difficulties in finding tasks (on the contrary, OpenOffice cannot easily
find GSOC projects since development actions are either too simple -like
the ones needed here- or too complex), so I'll ask that Apache applies
only if the feedback leaves me reasonably convinced that OpenOffice can
find and mentor enough tasks alone.

Regards,
   Andrea.