community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject ApacheCon North America, and other events
Date Fri, 20 Sep 2013 17:46:48 GMT
For those of you who have asked what the plan is going forward, now that
there's no ConCom, I have some news, which I presume some of you have
already heard from one source or another.

Via a large number of conversations with different producers, and a
desire to see a conference happen in 2014, we (Definition: "We" = the
President, Executive Vice President, and the Executive Assistant) are in
talks with the Linux Foundation, producers of the LinuxCon family of
events, to provide us with a proposal for ApacheCon North America in the
first half of 2014, with the possibility of also doing a Europe event in
the latter half of 2014.

We have an initial back-of-napkin proposal, to which we have provided
some initial feedback, and are working on a more formal proposal in the
coming 60 days. I spoke with a Foundation representative earlier this
week at LinuxCon New Orleans, and expect to have a followup conversation
with her in Edinburgh next month at the Europe LinuxCon.

There are numerous reasons that we are choosing to go this way - reasons
that have been discussed in great detail on various mailing lists over
the last ten years. We feel that this is the direction that will best
satisfy the largest percentage of our community.

We will continue to update this mailing list as plans proceed, but we're
letting you know the plan so far because, well, people talk, and I've
already been getting some "I heard that ..." queries from people both
inside and outside the ASF.

Rest assured that there will be plenty of work for everyone who wants to
be involved, once things have progressed a little further.

I'm parallel, we're working on the "Event in a box" concept, to support
PMCs who want to do events outside of ApacheCon, to either assist in the
production of those events, where desired, or to more efficiently get
out of your way when you don't want any help. If you have done events in
the past, and the Foundation could have either helped you more, or
gotten in your way less, we would love to hear from you as that program
matures.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com