community-dev mailing list archives

From "gerald.park@gtnexus.com" <gerald.p...@gtnexus.com>
Subject Getting this error upon trying to install and configure Hive
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2013 21:48:32 GMT
Hi there!

So a little background. I've been trying to setup Hive on a CentOS 6 machine.
I followed the instructions of this Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2lSrHsRpOI

For my case, I'm using Hadoop-1.1.2 and Hive-0.9.0, all the directories labeled "mnt" in this
video I replaced it with "opt" because that's where all of my hadoop and hive packages have
been opened up.

As I reached the portion of the video where I was actually supposed to run Hive via "./hive"
this error popped up:

    "Cannot find hadoop installation: $HADOOP_HOME must be set or hadoop must be in the path"

I guess one of the questions I have is, in which directory did I have to edit the ".profile"
file? because I don't understand why we would have to go to the "home" directory for this
change. And also if this helps, this is what I had put down in the ".profile" file in my /home/hadoop
directory

    export HADOOP_HOME=/opt/hadoop/hadoop
    export HIVE_HOME=/opt/hadoop/hive
    export PATH=$HADOOP_HOME/bin:$HIVE_HOME/bin

Thank you so much!

Sincerely,

Gerald Park