community-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Ambassadors
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2013 13:43:14 GMT
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013, Marcel Offermans wrote:
> On Jun 25, 2013, at 14:42 PM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>
>> 3) Someone to estimate what it'll cost to ship these out to various people
>> in various countries. Should someone just take a sufficient number to
>> events, or should we ship to each individual? Get prices.
>
> It might be worth finding various local places to print them instead of
> centrally trying to print and distribute them.

I agree, shipping costs can be quite large, and you also risk hitting
customs / import duties if you try to move too many pre-printed ones
around.

My suggestion would be to get the design done in a small number of
colours, as this reduces printing costs, and increases the number of
places that can handle it. Then, for common areas (perhaps US, Europe,
Australia, Sri Lanka?) we have a large order put in (with a decent
discount!), and nominate a volunteer to send them out within that region
as required.

For people not in one of those places / who needs an unusual size /
shape etc, we have photos showing the suggested layout of the shirt, and
the vector graphics that were used to print the main batch. Someone can
then find a local printer to the them, hand over the graphics and show a
photo of how it should look, then pop back a little later to collect.

As for getting the design done, most of us seem to lack the skills, but we
do have a few members about with a good eye for design / with such a
person nearby. Take a look at the people who designed tshirts for past
barcamps, and ask them nicely if they can help again :)

Nick