community-dev mailing list archives

From John Theisen <john.thei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: increasing GSoC visibility within the ASF
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2013 17:52:51 GMT
unsubscribe

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:

> On Apr 10, 2013, at 10:26 AM, Ulrich Stärk wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> I perceive a low interest of our projects in GSoC. The list of projects that submitted
project ideas
>> that I compiled for Sally contained 33 entries of which some are subprojects I believe.
With 138
>> PMCs plus 35 podlings, this is less than one fifth of our projects.
>>
>> We only had 34 ideas one week before our application was due.
>>

> For my two cents, GSOC has been a mixed result for me personally.  I think I've mentored
4 times in the past.  Two were successful, two were not (one time, the student simply went
radio silent about 1/2 way through despite producing code all the way up to that point).
I know others in Mahout had similar experiences where it was a mixed bag.  For me, this year
(and last), it simply was a matter of not having the time to commit to it, esp. in light of
the fact that I couldn't reliably predict whether it would be successful or not, despite putting
in a fair amount of due diligence up front, in fact more than I would even do for someone
I was directly hiring.

>> I run into committers that are not members of their projects PMCs who are eager to
be mentors but
>> have no clue about what's going on because nobody from the PMC forwarded my emails
to their dev lists.

>> So the problem seems twofold: no interest and not reaching the right people. The
latter could be
>> improved by simply sending to committers@ instead of pmcs@ but it's the first that
worries me.

> committers@ does seem like it would be better from an awareness POV.
>

>> I believe GSoC and every other opportunity to attract new contributors to our projects
should be a
>> key priority of our PMCs. Apparently it's not, for whatever reasons. I could think
of missing
>> cycles, indifference, and wrong priorities.
>
> Perhaps, esp. for more popular projects, there is no shortage of contributors?  I really
don't know.  Overall, I like GSOC and may do it again in the future, but it was too much time
currently.

>> So what could we do to increase awareness for the opportunities GSoC offers and that
this program is
>> important to the foundation? Write more emails? Ask the board to mandate a section
in board reports
>> detailing the project's GSoC endeavors? Any ideas?
>>

> I don't think mandating makes sense.  We're all volunteers and if a PMC doesn't want
to do GSOC then that is their choice.