community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: increasing GSoC visibility within the ASF
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2013 13:23:36 GMT

On Apr 10, 2013, at 1:39 PM, Mark Struberg wrote:

> + it's also pretty hard to spin of small enough tasks which can be done in a GSoC project.
Most of our projects need some really in-depth knowledge prior to hacking a smallish task
:/

Looking forward to next year, it would be good for us to encourage projects to have a GSoC
tag in their ticket tracker to identify issues that would be good candidates for students.
The folks at OpenHatch recommend clearly identifying tickets as entry-level, and then,  rather
than always cleaning up the so-called "low-hanging fruit", leaving them for entry-level people.
Such an approach might be employed, say, 3-6 months out from GSoC, to start to identify good
student projects.

Granted, this leaves things undone, but that's probably ok, if our focus is indeed community
over code.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com :: @rbowen