community-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: increasing GSoC visibility within the ASF
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2013 15:42:57 GMT
On Apr 11, 2013, at 11:14 AM, Ulrich Stärk <uli@spielviel.de> wrote:

> On 11.04.2013 16:41, Ross Gardler wrote:

>>> 27 in 2012, so about the same (the 33 also contain some sub-projects). But
>>> at the same time the
>>> number of our TLPs and podlings grew so the ratio of participating
>>> projects is lower than last year.
>>>

>> As I find myself saying every year. It's about quality not quantity.
>
> It's both. I find it an alarming sign that our numbers don't increase with our size.
>

>> Our pass rate in the ASF is higher than the programme overall. Part of the
>> reason for this is that we spend a great deal of time making sure the right
>> students get chosen, but also because our mentors are very committed. We
>> state that we expect around 5 hours a week from mentors. That is a
>> significant commitment but providing that time does give us a higher
>> success rate.
>>
>> Personally, I wouldn't consider 33 projects low. We only get around 35-40
>> slots anyway.
>
> I need to correct you. We got 55 slots in 2011 of which 15 were returned and I believe
almost the
> same number last year and again we had to return a significant number because we didn't
have the
> mentors and participating projects to fill them.

Hi Uli,

I am not trying to be onerous on your to hunt statistics from previous years but thinking
out loud.

For 2013 there are 173 project ideas, I am assuming there is a many to one mapping of mentors
to ideas. Since there is a recommendation to have one to one mapping of mentor to projects
(with exceptions allowed under certain conditions), are we running into an issues where multiple
projects are getting good proposals and mentors are choosing one and leaving out rest? If
so do we want to encourage already committed mentors to recruit others in PMC to become mentors?
I know you have repeatedly insisted on this, but wondering if something more should be done
in the area?

Roughly speaking 33 PMC's (PPMCs included) prosed these ideas. Based on previous years experience,
how much of percentage of these ideas are not attracting students? If so do we want to educate
on what makes a good gsoc project?

Suresh