community-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: increasing GSoC visibility within the ASF
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2013 22:30:56 GMT
On Apr 11, 2013, at 12:07 PM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com> wrote:
> One of the issues is that we keep using GSoC + year as tag, so we pretty
> much discard all the previous years project ideas that are still open. I
> think using something generic like GSoC would make our project idea look
> bigger without much overhead on mentors to prepare year over year.

I see that in 2013 ideas, there are JIRA's created all the way from 2005 through 2013. I worry
if you automatically carry over the issues to next year, we might end up with some unattended
projects. What if the mentor (who proposed it previous year) does not have time or interest
or the project is no longer relevant? I think it is not too much to expect from the mentor
to go to the previous year JIRA's and change the tag from gsoc2012 to gsoc2013. If students
are commenting on zombie ideas and do not get a response, that might not send a good signal.
If a mentor is not having 30 minutes to create or modify a JIRA should we expect them to mentor
a student, review and accept code and provide feedback?

Suresh