community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: increasing GSoC visibility within the ASF
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2013 13:33:07 GMT

On Apr 11, 2013, at 9:23 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:

> Looking forward to next year, it would be good for us to encourage projects to have a
GSoC tag in their ticket tracker to identify issues that would be good candidates for students.
The folks at OpenHatch recommend clearly identifying tickets as entry-level, and then,  rather
than always cleaning up the so-called "low-hanging fruit", leaving them for entry-level people.
Such an approach might be employed, say, 3-6 months out from GSoC, to start to identify good
student projects.

> Granted, this leaves things undone, but that's probably ok, if our focus is indeed community
over code.

I see email on February 15th, from Ross and others [1], recommending just this, but it went
to comdev, and from there didn't appear to have propagated to the various dev or pmc lists.
That's the step we need to be sure to make happen so that we can catch the ear of the people
on each project who are anxious to see this happen.

Might be useful to identify which projects have representation on the comdev mailing list
and which don't.

[1] - http://markmail.org/message/tl4do4miegk4v2e7 and thereabouts

--
Rich Bowen