community-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Stärk <...@spielviel.de>
Subject Re: Call for New Moderation Technology was Re: Call for moderators
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2013 11:04:24 GMT
On 17.04.2013 12:53, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> I don't know if this is the right list or not (infra?), but I saw the topic here (and
it is the 4th or 5th such request I've seen in the past 3-4 months) and in my mind it relates
to improving the community, so I figured I'd discuss here first and then maybe we can take
a proposal to infra@.

Infra for sure.

> It really is time for the ASF to modernize moderation and our mailing lists.  The current
approach is very antiquated compared to other lists/groups I moderate (LinkedIn, Google Groups,
Wordpress, etc.) and it is no doubt a drain on what is already a fairly constrained resource
(i.e. committers, PMC members and heavy contributors).

> Things that I think we need in order to make moderation easier:
> 1. Web interface where you can bulk process requests, either accepting in bulk or rejecting
in bulk.  The mail by mail approach is horribly tedious and is so often overwhelmed by spam
that it takes too long to find the ones that aren't spam.

+1

> 2.  Figure out a way for official ASF communications to PMCs, etc. to NOT have to be
moderated.  I find it ridiculous after all this time that I have to moderate in messages from
board members, or others, etc. to PMC and/or other lists.  There should be official communication
channels that authorized people can use when they sign in w/ their ASF credentials.

Ask infra to subscribe your email to all private-allow lists. It's a one-liner on the command
line
and they'll do it if asked.

> 3. Better spam detection such that any email that is NOT spam, after sitting in the queue
is automatically sent back to the user w/ instructions on how to subscribe to and properly
send mail to the desired list.  Anything that is spam is put into a separate folder automatically
and left to die after X days like the current approach.

+1

> Other mailing list nice to haves:
> 1. For user (as opposed to dev) mailing lists, when someone sends an email to the list,
automatically do a search in the archives first that replies back w/ potential answers and
FAQs, thus offloading the I can't bother to perform a search first questioners.

I don't believe this will change anything. They won't bother reading, the same way they didn't
bother doing a search in the first place.

> 2. Web interface. Web Interface. Web Interface.  Don't get me wrong, I want a good old
fashioned email, but a web interface would bring in a lot more people in my opinion b/c now
I can pull instead of being pushed too.  For some lists that I participate in less frequently,
this would save a lot of work for my email server while still allowing me to participate in
the list.

Nabble. The integration with our mailing lists sucks though. Users still have to subscribe
and when
they don't (>90% of the cases) their emails show up at Nabble but possibly not on our lists.

> 3. The ability for moderators to pin topics to the top for all users (i.e. FAQs, etc.)

The Welcome message when subscribing can be modified to include an URL to such a resource,
as can
the footer on messages.

Google: site:mail-archives.apache.org <your term here>
markmail.org
Nabble

> In other words, real forum software.

-1. I want it pushed to me and not having to go poll dozens of websites.

Uli