community-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Stärk <...@spielviel.de>
Subject Re: increasing GSoC visibility within the ASF
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2013 15:14:29 GMT
On 11.04.2013 16:41, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 11 April 2013 14:26, Ulrich Stärk <uli@spielviel.de> wrote:

>>> How does that compare to past years?
>>>

>> 27 in 2012, so about the same (the 33 also contain some sub-projects). But
>> at the same time the
>> number of our TLPs and podlings grew so the ratio of participating
>> projects is lower than last year.
>>

> As I find myself saying every year. It's about quality not quantity.

It's both. I find it an alarming sign that our numbers don't increase with our size.

> Our pass rate in the ASF is higher than the programme overall. Part of the
> reason for this is that we spend a great deal of time making sure the right
> students get chosen, but also because our mentors are very committed. We
> state that we expect around 5 hours a week from mentors. That is a
> significant commitment but providing that time does give us a higher
> success rate.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't consider 33 projects low. We only get around 35-40
> slots anyway.

I need to correct you. We got 55 slots in 2011 of which 15 were returned and I believe almost
the
same number last year and again we had to return a significant number because we didn't have
the
mentors and participating projects to fill them.

Uli