community-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Process, policy and best practice
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2013 21:20:35 GMT

On 4/1/2013 2:19 PM, Luciano Resende wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com>wrote:
>> On 1 Apr 2013 18:28, "Luciano Resende" <luckbr1975@gmail.com> wrote:

> If the budget is not a pre-requisite, how do envision a small PMC like
> ComDev, taking responsibility of a big task, that the current owner and a
> much larger PMC has not been able to handle ?

Luciano has an excellent point in that there's not much to discuss until
ComDev sees some clarity on what is being asked.

I do however think this could be an excellent idea, precisely in part
because ComDev is smaller and more focused.  I could imagine ComDev
changing it's scope to effectively serve as an information shepherd on
all of the apache.org/* content focused on our technical communities.
I.e. not only serving as owners of community.a.o, where we have friendly
overviews and pointers to other info, but also editorial owners of
things like /dev.  This doesn't mean setting policy for technical
matters or svn instructions - this more would mean (I'm imagining)
taking responsibility for making the technical information there more
understandable and better organized.

The issue with the IPMC and the Incubator is multi-fold:

- Operations.  Overseeing podlings and voting in new ones, graduating
ones, etc.  This is *not* anything to do with ComDev.

- Policy setting.  This is the IPMC (or other relevant ASF officers)
setting official minimum required policy for the incubation process.
This is *not* anything to do with ComDev.

- Explaining to the world what the Incubation policies are and guiding
newcomers through how IPMC Operations work.  This one bit is something
that ComDev *might* be able to help with, if I'm seeing what Ross is
getting at.

Personally, I find the incubator site maddening in terms of explaining
to a normal human what the heck to do.  There's a chance that if ComDev
wanted to help, people here could make significant improvements merely
by better explaining the incubator - without having to make policy or
podling decisions.

That in particular is something that could make use of a hired technical
writer, if separately we thought that spending was warranted.

Make sense?

- Shane