community-dev mailing list archives

From "Sally Khudairi" <sallykhuda...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ASF accepted as a mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code 2013
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2013 14:57:43 GMT
Ah! Thank you, Gary!

[From the mobile; kindly excuse spelling/spacing/auto-correct anomalies]

----- Reply message -----
From: "Gary Martin" <gary.martin@wandisco.com>
To: <dev@community.apache.org>
Cc: "Ulrich Stärk" <uli@spielviel.de>, "Sally Khudairi" <sk@apache.org>, "Sally
Khudairi" <sallykhudairi@yahoo.com>, "press@apache.org" <press@apache.org>
Subject: ASF accepted as a mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code 2013
Date: Tue, Apr 9, 2013 10:47 AM

Just in case it is missed I should add that there appears to be a
mistake in the paragraph beginning "Established in 2005," where "around
the word" should read "around the world".

Cheers
     Gary

On 09/04/13 15:42, Ulrich Stärk wrote:
> Looks fine to me except for two small things.
>
> Comments inline.
>
> Uli
>
> On 09.04.2013 16:14, Sally Khudairi wrote:
>> Hi everyone --I've drafted up an announcement that I can send out by 12 Noon ET today,
if not sooner.

>> Please review the draft below and forward any corrections/additions no later than
11.15AM ET.

>> Thanks for this,
>> Sally
>>
>> ...also, we need to update http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html :^)
> On it. Thanks for the reminder.
>
>> = = =
>>
>> The Apache Software Foundation Community Development Project Welcomes Student Proposals
for Google
>> Summer of Code 2013
>>
>> Hundreds of students mentored in “The Apache Way” of Open Source community leadership
>>
>> Forest Hill, MD –9 April 2013– The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)'s Community
Development (ComDev)
>> project today announced its acceptance into the Google Summer of Code (GsoC) as a
mentoring
>> organization for the eighth consecutive year.
>>
>> The ComDev team helps newcomers learn about the ASF's projects, governance, and activities,
and
>> guides them in becoming part of the meritocratic, all-volunteer Apache community.
>>
>> Established in 2005, the Google Summer of Code offers student developers from around
the word
>> stipends to write code for various Open Source software projects over a three month
period.

>> The ASF has actively participated in GSoC since the program's inception, mentoring
30-45 students
>> each year, and providing exposure to real-world software and community development
“The Apache Way”.

>> Countless GSoC students mentored by the Apache community continue to be long-term
code committers on
>> a variety of Apache projects. Some active program participants have even been elected
as members of
>> the ASF.
>>
>> This year, dozens of Apache projects have committed to mentoring GSoC students. They
include
>> Accumulo, Airavata, Axiom, Bloodhound, CloudStack, CouchDB, Crunch, Giraph, Gora,
Hama, Hive, Isis,
>> Jena, Lenya, Lucene, Mahout, ManifoldCF, Mesos, Nutch, ODE, OpenMeetings, OpenOffice,
Pig, Rat, SIS,
>> Sling, Solr, Stanbol, Tika, VXQuery, Wookie, XalanJ, and XercesJ.
> Make clear that this list isn't exclusive. Maybe "They include but are not limited to..."?
>
>> The ComDev team invite GSoC students to propose application ideas directly with all
Apache
>> project(s) of interest no later than Sunday, 21 April 2013. The ASF's more than 100
Top-Level
>> Projects and nearly three dozen initiatives in the Apache Incubator are listed at
>>   http://www.apache.org/ and http://incubator.apache.org/ respectively.
> "The ComDev team recommends GSoC students to discuss application ideas directly with
all Apache
> project(s) of interest before the official start of the application phase on Monday,
22 April 2013."

>> For more information on Apache Community Development and to get involved with Apache
projects for
>> GSoC, visit http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html
>>
>> Details on the Google Summer of Code is available at
>> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2013
>>
>> About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
>> Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees nearly one hundred fifty
leading Open
>> Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server — the world's most popular Web server
software.
>> Through the ASF's meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way", more than 400 individual
Members
>> and 3,500 Committers successfully collaborate to develop freely available enterprise-grade
software,
>> benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions are distributed
under the
>> Apache License; and the community actively participates in ASF mailing lists, mentoring
initiatives,
>> and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings, and expo. The
ASF is a US
>> 501(3)(c) not-for-profit charity, funded by individual donations and corporate sponsors
including
>> AMD, Basis Technology, Citrix, Cloudera, Facebook, Go Daddy, Google, HP, Hortonworks,
Huawei, IBM,
>> InMotion Hosting, Matt Mullenweg, Microsoft, PSW Group, SpringSource/VMware, WANdisco,
and Yahoo!.
>> For more information, visit http://www.apache.org/ or follow @TheASF on Twitter.
>>
>> "Apache", "Accumulo", "Apache Accumulo", "Airavata", "Apache Airavata", "Axiom",
"Apache Axiom",
>> "Bloodhound", "Apache Bloodhound", "CloudStack", "Apache CloudStack", "CouchDB",
"Apache CouchDB",
>> "Crunch", "Apache Crunch", "Giraph", "Apache Giraph", "Gora", "Apache Gora", "Hama",
"Apache Hama",
>> "Hive", "Apache Hive", "Isis", "Apache Isis", "Jena", "Apache Jena", "Lenya", "Apache
Lenya",
>> "Lucene", "Apache Lucene", "Mahout", "Apache Mahout", "ManifoldCF", "Apache ManifoldCF",
"Mesos",
>> "Apache Mesos", "Nutch", "Apache Nutch", "ODE", "Apache ODE", "OpenMeetings", "Apache
OpenMeetings",
>> "OpenOffice", "Apache OpenOffice", "Pig", "Apache Pig", "Rat", "Apache Rat", "SIS",
"Apache SIS",
>> "Sling", "Apache Sling", "Solr", "Apache Solr", "Stanbol", "Apache Stanbol", "Tika",
"Apache Tika",
>> "VXQuery", "Apache VXQuery",  "Wookie", "Apache Wookie", "XalanJ", "Apache XalanJ",
"XercesJ",
>> "Apache XercesJ",  and "ApacheCon" are registered trademarks or trademarks of the
Apache Software
>> Foundation in the United States and/or other countries. All other brands and trademarks
are the
>> property of their respective owners.
>>
>> # # #
>>
>> Contact:
>> Sally Khudairi
>> Vice President
>> The Apache Software Foundation
>> press@apache.org
>> +1 617 921 8656
>>

>>      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Code 2013

>>      Perfect. Thank you, Uli!
>>

>>          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CouchDB,
>>          Crunch,
>>          Giraph, Gora, Hama, Hive, Isis, Jena, Lucene, Mahout, Mesos, Nutch, Ode,
Openmeetings, Pig, Rat,
>>          SIS, Sling, Solr, Stanbol, Tika, VXQuery, Wookie, XalanJ, XercesJ
>>
>>          It isn't exclusive, these are simply the projects that have submitted project
ideas. Every
>>          student
>>          is free to approach any project and propose an idea (which is also highly
encouraged).

>>          Cheers,
>>
>>          Uli
>>
>>          On 09.04.2013 14:20, Ulrich Stärk wrote:
>>          > Any project can be involved. The ones listed at [4] have explicitly
submitted ideas for
>>          students but
>>          > that doesn't mean students can't approach projects not mentioned there.
I'll compile a
>>          list from [4]
>>          > for you.
>>          >
>>          > Uli
>>          >
>>          > On 09.04.2013 14:16, Sally Khudairi wrote:
>>          >> One more thing: do we have a list of Apache projects that will
be involved here?
>>          >>
>>          >> Thanks,
>>          >> Sally
>>          >>
>>          >>
>>          >>
>>          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>          >>    *From:* Ulrich Stärk <uli@spielviel.de <mailto:uli@spielviel.de>>
>>          >>    *To:* "press@apache.org <mailto:press@apache.org>" <press@apache.org
>>          <mailto:press@apache.org>>; Sally Khudairi <sk@apache.org <mailto:sk@apache.org>>
>>          >>    *Cc:* "dev@community.apache.org <mailto:dev@community.apache.org>"
>>          <dev@community.apache.org <mailto:dev@community.apache.org>>
>>          >>    *Sent:* Tuesday, 9 April 2013, 8:11
>>          >>    *Subject:* ASF accepted as a mentoring organization for Google
Summer of Code 2013
>>          >>
>>          >>    Recycling last years email on the topic. All dates and links
updated. It would be cool
>>          if we could
>>          >>    get this out asap. Is there anything else you need?
>>          >>
>>          >>    Uli
>>          >>
before publishing?