community-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GSoC 2013: non-code projects on website, branding?
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2013 19:40:33 GMT
Hi Shane,

a big + 1 for what you want to accomplish, but I am afraid it might not qualify as a GSOC
project. There was a discussion on gsoc mentor lists recently if CSS qualifies as a gsoc project.
There were mixed opinions without concluding thoughts but it was clear documentation does
not quality. GSOC seem to emphasize on the coding aspects [1].

Few options come to my mind though:
* HCI students may want to pick it as a good use case and deliver. It will be tough to motivate
but if they can pick it up as a capstone project or get attracted to earn commitership in
ASF they might.
* Free lance content strategists might be very interested to do this kind of a job in return
for some visibility. I have come across few of them some time ago but blank at this minute
to provide pointers.
* Similar to logo contest, may be we should post this as a task and cross fingers if it gets
picked up.

Suresh

[1] - http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs#goals

On Mar 2, 2013, at 1:37 PM, Shane Curcuru <asfl@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> Quick sanity check: would it be worthwhile to explore having a non-code project?  We
often decry the lack of understandable or organized technical documentation, especially on
the apache.org site.  Similarly, we could do a much better job simply clearly describing things
for branding, making fundraising look a little prettier, having an easier to navigate events
area, etc.

> Should I try to find enough discrete tasks  here to submit a documentation-type GSoC
idea?  Or is that not likely to find any students / going to be too much work to pull together?

> I love the idea of offering a non-heavy-code project, and I will have a little spare
time over the summer (when I'm taking a 12 week leave of absence from $dayjob).