community-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [GSoC Mentors Announce] Google Summer of Code 2013
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2013 13:58:31 GMT

On Feb 15, 2013, at 4:24 AM, Ulrich Stärk <uli@spielviel.de> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> thanks for the heads up.
>
> Folks, I'd like us to get started with this ASAP. The application period hasn't started
yet but we
> need to get the word out to our projects and have them collect ideas.
>
> I've got some cycles and would volunteer as the org admin again. Any others?

Hi Uli,

I am willing to help co-ordinate and I will be mentoring project as well. I do not know the
time commitments for admins. So I will not sign up for official admin, but will be mostly
around to help you guys as needed.

Suresh

> Also I think we should look at our procedures and discuss if anything needs to be improved.
One
> thing is the "who goes to the mentor summit" discussion we had last year. Historically
these were
> the org admins. I was there last year as one of the org admins but I would have liked
it if there
> was one of the mentors as well because I missed some insights into the actual mentoring.
I'm
> therefore proposing that this year we send at least one mentor. We'll have to establish
criteria for
> chosing a mentor to send but I could think of tying this to additional effort put into
the program
> such as mentoring more than one student or creating publicity with blog posts about the
projects
> they are mentoring.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Uli
>
> On 11.02.2013 21:22, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
>> Guys FYI.
>>
>> From: Carol Smith <carols@google.com<mailto:carols@google.com>>
>> Date: Monday, February 11, 2013 11:02 AM
>> To: "gsoc-mentors-announce@googlegroups.com<mailto:gsoc-mentors-announce@googlegroups.com>"
<gsoc-mentors-announce@googlegroups.com<mailto:gsoc-mentors-announce@googlegroups.com>>
>> Subject: [GSoC Mentors Announce] Google Summer of Code 2013
>>
>> Hi GSoC mentors and org admins,
>>
>> We've announced that we're doing Google Summer of Code 2013 [1]. Yay!
>>
>> If you would like to help spread the word about GSoC, we have presentations [2],
logos [3], and flyers [4] for you to use. Please host meetups, tell your friends and colleagues
about the program, go to conferences, talk to people about the program, and just generally
do all the awesome word-of-mouth stuff you do every year to promote the program.

>> The GSoC calendar, FAQ, and events timeline have all been updated with this year's
important dates, so please refer to those for the milestones for this year's program. NB:
the normal timeline for the program has been modified for this year. You'll probably want
to examine the dates closely to make sure you know when important things are happening.

>> Please consider translating the presentations and/or flyers into your native language
and submitting them directly to me to post on the wiki. Localization for our material is integral
to reaching the widest possible audience around the world. If you decide to translate a flyer,
please fill out our form to request a thank you gift for your effort. [5]

>> If you decide to host a meetup, please email me to let me know the date, time, and
location so I can put it on the GSoC calendar. Also, remember to take pictures at your meetup
and write up a blog post for our blog using our provided template for formatting [6]. If you
need promotional items for your attendees, please fill out our form [7] to request some; we're
happy to send some along. We can provide up to about 25 pens, notebooks, or stickers and/or
a few t-shirts. Please keep in mind, though, that shipping restrictions and timeline vary
country-to-country; request items early to make sure they get there on time! If you have questions
about hosting meetups, please see the section in our FAQ [8].

>> Please also consider applying to participate as an organization again this year or
maybe joining as a mentor for your favorite organization if they are selected this year.