community-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Stärk <...@spielviel.de>
Subject Re: FW: [GSoC Mentors Announce] Google Summer of Code 2013
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2013 09:24:40 GMT
Chris,

thanks for the heads up.

Folks, I'd like us to get started with this ASAP. The application period hasn't started yet
but we
need to get the word out to our projects and have them collect ideas.

I've got some cycles and would volunteer as the org admin again. Any others?

Also I think we should look at our procedures and discuss if anything needs to be improved.
One
thing is the "who goes to the mentor summit" discussion we had last year. Historically these
were
the org admins. I was there last year as one of the org admins but I would have liked it if
there
was one of the mentors as well because I missed some insights into the actual mentoring. I'm
therefore proposing that this year we send at least one mentor. We'll have to establish criteria
for
chosing a mentor to send but I could think of tying this to additional effort put into the
program
such as mentoring more than one student or creating publicity with blog posts about the projects
they are mentoring.

Thoughts?

Uli

On 11.02.2013 21:22, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> Guys FYI.
>
> From: Carol Smith <carols@google.com<mailto:carols@google.com>>
> Date: Monday, February 11, 2013 11:02 AM
> To: "gsoc-mentors-announce@googlegroups.com<mailto:gsoc-mentors-announce@googlegroups.com>"
<gsoc-mentors-announce@googlegroups.com<mailto:gsoc-mentors-announce@googlegroups.com>>
> Subject: [GSoC Mentors Announce] Google Summer of Code 2013
>
> Hi GSoC mentors and org admins,
>
> We've announced that we're doing Google Summer of Code 2013 [1]. Yay!
>
> If you would like to help spread the word about GSoC, we have presentations [2], logos
[3], and flyers [4] for you to use. Please host meetups, tell your friends and colleagues
about the program, go to conferences, talk to people about the program, and just generally
do all the awesome word-of-mouth stuff you do every year to promote the program.

> The GSoC calendar, FAQ, and events timeline have all been updated with this year's important
dates, so please refer to those for the milestones for this year's program. NB: the normal
timeline for the program has been modified for this year. You'll probably want to examine
the dates closely to make sure you know when important things are happening.

> Please consider translating the presentations and/or flyers into your native language
and submitting them directly to me to post on the wiki. Localization for our material is integral
to reaching the widest possible audience around the world. If you decide to translate a flyer,
please fill out our form to request a thank you gift for your effort. [5]

> If you decide to host a meetup, please email me to let me know the date, time, and location
so I can put it on the GSoC calendar. Also, remember to take pictures at your meetup and write
up a blog post for our blog using our provided template for formatting [6]. If you need promotional
items for your attendees, please fill out our form [7] to request some; we're happy to send
some along. We can provide up to about 25 pens, notebooks, or stickers and/or a few t-shirts.
Please keep in mind, though, that shipping restrictions and timeline vary country-to-country;
request items early to make sure they get there on time! If you have questions about hosting
meetups, please see the section in our FAQ [8].

> Please also consider applying to participate as an organization again this year or maybe
joining as a mentor for your favorite organization if they are selected this year.