community-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why no list of the comdev PMC itself on the comdev page?
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:23:53 GMT
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> On 21 August 2012 17:02, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Ross Gardler
>> <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
>>> Further to Bertrand comment it's not the PMC that is important but the
>>> people doing stuff.
>>>
>>> I'd disagree with the assertion "any other PMC", many of the PMCs I work
>>> with don't have such list (of course it's easily available via foundation
>>> pages if people want it).
>>
>> Well, if I revised that to 'some' I suppose there would be no argument
>
> Not from me :-)
>
>> -- but -- better yet -- many PMCs have some concept of 'the team' in
>> their web presence . Should comdev? Not a rhetorical question; I could
>> see arguments either way.
>
> Like you I'm willing to listen to new arguments. This comes up every
> time I start mentoring a new project and I am yet to see a good
> argument for publicly stating "PMC member X is more important than
> contributor Y" (which is what I believe such "team pages" do).
> Consider that PMC Member X may be inactive and contributor Y may be
> elected a PMC member in a couple of weeks. There are, as you say,
> arguments both ways, for me the ones saying everyone is equal always
> win out.
>
> A more concrete example. The majority of work for this PMC is GSoC. We
> have two admins each year and around 40 mentors appointed (and maybe
> another 40 who don't get a student). In terms of hours of effort
> mentors work harder but typically they will not be ComDev PMC members.
> In terms of having to drop everything to solve a specific problem
> quickly, or meet tight deadlines, admins work much harder. Personally
> I'd rather just applaud everyone equally than try and say one is more
> deserving of public credit than another.
>
> Maybe I'm too much of an old hippie though ;-)


Whoops. I'm really *not* arguing for a PMC list. I'd be happy with any
community list. I won't even make an extended issue if someone offers
a reason to have *no* list.

>
> Ross
>
> Ross
>
>>
>>>
>>> From a mobile device - forgive errors and terseness
>>> On Aug 21, 2012 2:47 PM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacretaz@apache.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>> > Any particular reason why the comdev web page doesn't include a list
>>>> > of the comdev PMC members, as any other PMC's page would?
>>>>
>>>> The problem with those lists is that they can easily get out of sync,
>>>> it might be safer to link to
>>>> http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html#comdev-pmc
>>>>
>>>> -Bertrand
>>>>
>
>
>
> --
> Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
> Programme Leader (Open Development)
> OpenDirective http://opendirective.com

Mime
View raw message