community-dev mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Participate in another GSoC like project
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2012 15:23:17 GMT
On 6/25/2012 5:25 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> In terms of deliverables from the project think of GSoC where the
> students get credits towards their degree rather than cash (Semester
> of Code rather than Summer of Code).

Thanks Ross for driving this effort. I always think it is great to
provide opportunities for students come into open source.  It is an
important part of their education that cannot be learned in the classroom.

  I have a question regarding the mechanics. Regarding the student
credit, will it be a simple pass/no pass like GsOC or a grade that the
students will get.  Will the mentor have interaction with the professor
regarding the student's progress/performance.    Will it be the
professor who will assign the final grade based on the mentors input? I
think that might be best. I think it will be important to make sure that
appeals are going through the organization or school rather than the
mentor directly.

The matrix nature of the student  direction and assessments  will be a
challenge we haven't faced with GsOC but one I am sure we can handle if
we give it proper thought up front.

Best

Kathey