community-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Duerr <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can the one proposing a vote cast his vote?
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2012 11:50:29 GMT
Hi,

I was wondering how other projects under the ASF umbrella handle the
question, whether the one calling a vote should always stay neutral or
whether he should be allowed to cast his vote.

Or is it assumed that the one proposing a vote automatically approves
his proposal with a +1?

I had found http://s.apache.org/IqE from the Avalon project that
summarizes the voting process very well. My particular question wasn't
answered in it though, so I discussed that topic with Ross Gardler,
where he gave some good advise and allowed me to share it:
> You should vote. Unless you formally record your vote it will not be
> counted.
>
> In some cases other factors might make your impartiality questionable,
> e.g. you may be nominating a new committee who is a work colleague. In
> such circumstances you may choose to declare your relationship when you
> make the nomination or when you vote. However, since everyone is an
> individual in the ASF this is not required.
>
> If there is a genuine conflict of interest you need to recuse yourself
> from the vote. This might happen in circumstances such as requesting PMC
> approval of the projects trademarks for an event sponsored by your employer.

Are there additional criteria one should consider or are there any other
opinions on this topic?

Herbert