community-dev mailing list archives

From a user <myendpo...@live.it>
Subject SOA suite comparison - should I choose Apache? How is WSO2 related to Apache?
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2012 21:48:00 GMT
Hello Apache community, I'm glad to make your acquaintance.

My first question here is about a research I'm making these days: I must
choose among open-source Software Oriented Architectures, and it seems
to me the three complete platforms (they have all the pieces I need) are:

  * /*Jboss SOA
    Suite*/-->http://www.redhat.com/products/jbossenterprisemiddleware/soa/
  * /*Apache*/(it's not a suite but you have all the fundamental pieces
    - am I right?)
  * /*WSO2 SOA Suite*/-->http://wso2.com/products/platforms

My conclusion on these platforms are that:

  * /*JBoss*/is backed by a*big and active community*, and it is the
    first I've heard of. The downside is that its*ESB cannot match
    services' multiple endpoints*- in other words it matches only one
    endpoint per service;
  * /*Apache*/has a*great community*too, and has*Tuscany SCA (Service
    Component Architecture)*[http://tuscany.apache.org/] - WSO2 and
    JBoss do not have a SCA middleware (tell me if I'm wrong here);
  * /*WSO2*/has a*complete suite*(it seems it has all SOA's middleware
    pieces) except for the SCA. Here the downside is that*the community
    is only of 350 members*- they declare that they've joined Apache
    projects, and /*the question here is: can I count on your support
    for WSO2 products?*/

If my research brought me to incorrect conclusion, tell me where I've
misunderstood something, and if you think it's incomplete and there are
alternative that need to be taken into account it will be much useful to
know which they are. I did not mention single pieces (like Bonita's BPM
[http://www.bonitasoft.com/], for instance) because I think building up
an SOA would be easier if I start with a suite and then I change some
pieces.

If you think it's not the correct approach, I'll be glad to take into
consideration any alternative you're going to show me.

Here are the pieces I did not found on the platforms:

  * /*Jboss*/: Business Activity Monitoring (BAM), Service Component
    Architecture (SCA) WSO2: SCA;
  * /*Apache*/: development tool (maybe Eclipse should be used),
    Business Process Management (BPM), Business Rules, Registry - can
    you tell me where I could find easily-integrable pieces?
  * /*WSO2*/: SCA.

This question is a community-independent one. Here I would like to
understand if:

 1. I can create a reliable, complete, integrated SOA platform Apache
    products, and
 2. How WSO2 products are related to your community and Apache context.

Thanks in advance to everyone,
hoping I will be of some help one day in the future,

/someone who's still learning/