community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: GSoC Mentor vetting procedure
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 09:08:21 GMT
On 19 March 2012 08:42, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 4:38 AM, Nóirín Pluincéid <noirin@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...Mentors should have the backing of the PMC responsible for the project
>> their student is working on - because we've promised that to Google, and
>> because we need to know that if the mentor disappears, the PMC will step in....
>
> +1, IMO we just need the PMC to say "we are ok with this GSoC project
> happening with this mentor".
>
> Having the mentor CC their PMC list when they inform code-awards of
> their intention to mentor, and someone from the PMC ack that, is not
> much work and I think it's sufficient.

+1

The tiny bit of extra work for PMCs significantly reduces admin work
if we have an issue like last year (I not none of the people who
worked to resolve the issue last year are against this idea ;-)

PMCs are supposed to provide oversight for their projects not anyone else.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)