community-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Website improvement ideas
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 21:52:26 GMT
Sounds like good ideas.

I understand your concerns earlier in the thread, however I still think /governance belongs
on www.a.o. I don't want to see community.a.o generating a lot of new content outside of its
scope of enabling new contributors and "signposting" - there's enough problems with docs being
split between incubator and www.a.o/dev as it is :)

- Brett

On 07/12/2011, at 3:19 AM, Shane Curcuru wrote:

> [PROPOSAL] I plan to create community.a.o/governance with:
>
> /index: brief overview for new readers, and link to the subpages.  I was thinking of
having two lists linked to the subpages: one by organizational hierarchy (the board is on
top), one by importance (the PMCs are on top).

> /board
> /membership  (writing now)
> /pmcs
> /committers (tbd)
> /contributors (tbd)
> /users (tbd, wondering if we should write this one to show that users don't directly
participate in governance, other than that most healthy projects will pay attention to user
needs)

> /orgchart - we really need one.  Shows the board at the top left, then three columns:
> ====
> - Operations: prez reports solid line to board and prez directs VP, Infra to keep machines
going

> - Strategy: various other officers solid line report to the board directly
>
> - Projects: two chunks of things:
> -- Meta projects: attic, conferences, community, etc.
> -- Code projects: example listing httpd, Hadoop, Lucene, etc.
>
> Projects all *dotted* line report to the board for oversight.  Emphasize how the ASF
is about supporting projects.
> ====
>

> Update the homepage to provide a quick table of contents in terms of concepts (additionally
to the way we provide contents for "who are you?" of newcomers/committers/etc.)

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org