community-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Website improvement ideas
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2011 00:57:18 GMT
On 2011-12-06 4:52 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
> Sounds like good ideas.
>
> I understand your concerns earlier in the thread, however I still
> think /governance belongs on www.a.o. I don't want to see
> community.a.o generating a lot of new content outside of its scope of
> enabling new contributors and "signposting" - there's enough problems
> with docs being split between incubator and www.a.o/dev as it is :)
>
> - Brett

ACK.  Anyone else want to +1 making this be either www.a.o/governance or
www.a.o/foundation/governance?

I just mentally found it easier to put stuff on community.a.o to start
with, but I see your point.

- Shane

> On 07/12/2011, at 3:19 AM, Shane Curcuru wrote:
>
>> [PROPOSAL] I plan to create community.a.o/governance with:
>>
>> /index: brief overview for new readers, and link to the subpages.  I was thinking
of having two lists linked to the subpages: one by organizational hierarchy (the board is
on top), one by importance (the PMCs are on top).

>> /board
>> /membership  (writing now)
>> /pmcs
>> /committers (tbd)
>> /contributors (tbd)
>> /users (tbd, wondering if we should write this one to show that users don't directly
participate in governance, other than that most healthy projects will pay attention to user
needs)

>> /orgchart - we really need one.  Shows the board at the top left, then three columns:
>> ====
>> - Operations: prez reports solid line to board and prez directs VP, Infra to keep
machines going

>> - Strategy: various other officers solid line report to the board directly
>>
>> - Projects: two chunks of things:
>> -- Meta projects: attic, conferences, community, etc.
>> -- Code projects: example listing httpd, Hadoop, Lucene, etc.
>>
>> Projects all *dotted* line report to the board for oversight.  Emphasize how the
ASF is about supporting projects.
>> ====
>>

>> Update the homepage to provide a quick table of contents in terms of concepts (additionally
to the way we provide contents for "who are you?" of newcomers/committers/etc.)