community-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Apache Extras Question
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2011 20:59:43 GMT
Thanks Chris,

Just one caution.  I mentioned authority over namespaces, not authority over Apache Extras.
 The question is what constitutes authorized use of additions to the org.apache.* hierarchy
for namespaces.  On reflection, I think the answer should be independent of Apache Extras.

And the notion of decentralization of authority over package names by use of the namespace
hierarchies is a bit different than delegation to and within Apache projects.  (E.g., I would
expect the body having authority over community.apache.org to have authority over namespace
branches of org.apache.community.* and be reluctant to delegate that beyond their subordinate
hierarchy.)

-----Original Message-----
From: Mattmann, Chris A (388J) [mailto:chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov]
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:45
To: dev@community.apache.org; dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Subject: Re: Apache Extras Question

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for replying, comments below:

On Dec 29, 2011, at 12:13 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
[ ... ]
> While there is probably next-to-nothing in the specifications (i.e., section 7.7 of the
Java Specification, 3rd edition) for namespaces that deals with authority and authoritative
use, using one that has a domain over which I am not the authority seems toxic and certainly
abusive of an important de facto protocol.  Technically, making definitions in another's namespace
structure violates the notion of distributed authority and assurance of unique, non-colliding
identifiers.

The ComDev PMC chair has claimed authority over Apache Extras. That's why
I'm proposing 2 concrete suggestions (please see my previous email) that
would both remedy my situation and I think also fall within maintaining ASF
marks which as a member of the ASF I am keenly interested in protecting as well.
[ ... ]