community-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Stärk <...@spielviel.de>
Subject Re: Invitation: Apply to be a Mentoring Organization for GCI
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 20:26:21 GMT
If we decided to participate, either as individual PMCs or as the ASF as a whole, we need to
work out detailed guidelines first. GCI is *very* different to GSoC, where we could expect
students to work out the details of an idea for themselves. For GCI we need to make sure that
tasks are described in great detail and adequate for school kids. This and mentoring youngsters
means *a lot* of work and can be done wrong in so many ways and ruin the participants' experience,
which we do not want.

Uli

Am 19.10.2011 um 09:05 schrieb Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net>:

> On 10/19/2011 12:43 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>> All this is good, but meaningless unless someone has the time to
>> follow through. I'm going to leave it one more day. If there is no ASF level
>> follow through I will notify PMCs that they should apply directly.
> I think that would be best if there is an option with Google for individual PMC's to
apply directly on this one.   I think it  just all starts and stops too fast for a foundation
wide effort this year.   Better to have individual PMC's with some success and grow into it
organically for the foundation.