community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Updating mentor vetting procedures
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2011 09:51:19 GMT
On 5 October 2011 12:23, Ulrich Stärk <uli@spielviel.de> wrote:
> On 05.10.2011 11:48, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Ulrich Stärk <uli@spielviel.de> wrote:
>>> ...In the past we allowed every committer to be a GSoC mentor. This is only problematic
with past
>>> students that still have Apache accounts but have never been voted in as committers.
So we either
>>> have to restrict mentors to be PMC members or PMC-approved or make sure that
we can identify
>>> temporary accounts created for GSoC students. I personally favor the second option...
>> I agree with the need to make sure temporary accounts don't stick around.
>>
>> OTOH I think asking PMCs to approve their mentors would be good, if
>> only to make sure each PMC is aware of which of their committers are
>> mentors. This could be a simple lazy consensus approval, where we ask
>> each mentor to inform their PMC's private list, telling them to bark
>> if they disagree, and copy that message to our private GSoC mentors
>> list.
>>
>> -Bertrand
>
> A good idea but I doubt that a lazy concensus will effectively prevent non-committers
from becoming
> mentors. Some PMC members simply won't care about GSoC and don't disagree, others might
think "hey
> great, a volunteer" without knowing our policies on who may become a mentor. While it
seems like a
> good idea to involve the PMCs some more I think that we should, in addition, require
accounts
> created for students to be marked as such.

So we make it a policy that the PMC is responsible for ensuring that
the mentor is an appropriate mentor and that they support the
application. We give the mentor a template email including these
details to send to the PMC and we use the board process of "ack + 72
hours".

Not quite lazy consensus but not significant work for anyone.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)