community-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Stärk <...@spielviel.de>
Subject Re: Updating mentor vetting procedures
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 11:23:15 GMT
On 05.10.2011 11:48, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Ulrich Stärk <uli@spielviel.de> wrote:
>> ...In the past we allowed every committer to be a GSoC mentor. This is only problematic
with past
>> students that still have Apache accounts but have never been voted in as committers.
So we either
>> have to restrict mentors to be PMC members or PMC-approved or make sure that we can
identify
>> temporary accounts created for GSoC students. I personally favor the second option...
> I agree with the need to make sure temporary accounts don't stick around.
>
> OTOH I think asking PMCs to approve their mentors would be good, if
> only to make sure each PMC is aware of which of their committers are
> mentors. This could be a simple lazy consensus approval, where we ask
> each mentor to inform their PMC's private list, telling them to bark
> if they disagree, and copy that message to our private GSoC mentors
> list.
>
> -Bertrand

A good idea but I doubt that a lazy concensus will effectively prevent non-committers from
becoming
mentors. Some PMC members simply won't care about GSoC and don't disagree, others might think
"hey
great, a volunteer" without knowing our policies on who may become a mentor. While it seems
like a
good idea to involve the PMCs some more I think that we should, in addition, require accounts
created for students to be marked as such.

Uli