community-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Stärk <...@spielviel.de>
Subject Re: Updating mentor vetting procedures
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 09:37:39 GMT
IIRC the discussion was not so much about how to choose and screen mentors but what we recommend
projects how to handle their student's access to SCM.

In the past we allowed every committer to be a GSoC mentor. This is only problematic with
past
students that still have Apache accounts but have never been voted in as committers. So we
either
have to restrict mentors to be PMC members or PMC-approved or make sure that we can identify
temporary accounts created for GSoC students. I personally favor the second option and would
suggest
that we ask infra to create a gsoc-student group that gsoc students are members of. This would
come
with a policy that account requests for GSoC students must state that this is not for a committer
but for a student.

Uli