community-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: GSoC & Temporary commit access accounts
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 15:24:09 GMT
On 7/21/2011 2:24 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 8:44 AM, Luciano Resende<luckbr1975@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> It looks like various Apache projects are voting GSoC students as
>> "partial committers". As Apache does not have a formal process for
>> handling this type of account requests, regular accounts are created
>> for these students, with an Apache e-mail alias, and access is given
>> to general committer areas in SVN (e.g. committer area in svn, etc)
>> and then respective PMCs provides write access to particular areas in
>> SVN, such as a sandbox or a collaboration area. If the student fails
>> the GSoC programm, or is not elected as regular committer during or
>> after the program, there is no process for disabling/deleting these
>> accounts. This is very problematic and can cause multiple issues....
> I'd say those are temporary accounts rather than partial, and from the
> GSoC point of view I think it's good to have them.
>
> As you say the issue is making sure those accounts are disabled once
> GSoC ends, as we would do when a trainee leaves you company.
>
> One suggestion would be to add those accounts to a special LDAP group
> named "trainee" or something. Once GSoC ends, someone (GSoC admins or
> comdev PMC) would need to request infra to disable all of them. If a
> student is voted in as a committer in the meantime, their PMC chair
> would just remove them from the "trainee" group.
Would  they therefore not be in  committers with access to the
committers private area? If that is the case, it might clarify their
status in everyone's view.

Personally, for google summer of code and for all development, I tend to
think a normal small incremental patch review commit model into trunk is
best,  avoiding large code merges that are not easy to review, well
tested or well understood by the community.   This of course really
reduces the scope of what students can submit in a summer but means it
will make it into production and they will learn what it takes to
produce production code.    Leading up to that point, I understand the
need for prototyping.  Is that what these branches and the these
temporary accounts are about, a place to build a prototype? I am also
curious. Are these temporary accounts given to others outside of GSOC
who want to work on a project in the community?

Thanks

Kathey