community-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Shared Calendars
Date Fri, 20 May 2011 12:29:06 GMT
Note, also, someone pointed out to me that JIRA might already have what we need without adding
more infrastructure.

In some regards, I think ideas along these lines are almost like social unit tests for PMCs/committers.
 That is, what automated mechanisms can we have that _help_ PMCs do their jobs better in the
least intrusive way possible and give feedback on a regular basis when things could be better.

On May 20, 2011, at 7:44 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On 20/05/2011 12:02, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
>> Great idea.
>>
>> But why not having a Calendar for all projects. One might be able to
>> filter for a specific project or event type, be it "release", "dinner"
>> or whatever. Other events would become a better visibility, like
>> Apache CON or a retreat
>
> I think this would be really good. However, I don't think we need to dictate where projects
keep their calendar stuff. The starting point is for projects to select a solution that suits
them and make us aware of an iCAL feed.

> ComDev can then create a calendar that imports these various feeds. Moving forwards we
might provide a funky front end that allows feeds of certain types to be aggregated into a
personal feed - but lets not get ahead of ourselves ;-)

> So who is going to create the comdev feed and add Grants Lucene feed as a first one.
I know ComDev have discussed having a calendar of events in the past, if we provide some visibility
for it maybe we can actually make it worthwhile.

> Ross
>

>> Christian
>>
>> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Grant Ingersoll<gsingers@apache.org>  wrote:
>>> I'm curious, do any projects have shared calendars?  For instance, the thought
occurred to me that I might put up a Google Calendar for Lucene or Mahout that is public read-only,
but committers have write control on it.  On the calendar, we could put things like potential
release dates, reminders for PMC actions (such as review potential committers or do board
reports).  Community members could submit "patches" for community related events such as conferences,
meetups, hackathons, etc.