community-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Stackoverflow
Date Fri, 13 May 2011 00:56:23 GMT
I don't think it's the tagging and voting. It's the ease of finding
and tracking unanswered questions.

When someone posts a message to one of the busy user(s)@ lists, they
have only so much chance of snagging the attention of someone
qualified to answer. If they get lost in the wash, the question is
probably lost for good.

Some very lightweight system for allowing users to open 'tickets'
asking for some sort of specific assistance might help here. Or it,
too, might wash away in the tide.

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 8:47 PM, David Blevins <david.blevins@gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 12, 2011, at 3:54 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>
>> The QA format, in my opinion, is a very powerful tool for some kinds
>> of collaborative assistance, and a completely useless tool for others.
>> It's much easier to find a question with answers than to find a
>> mailing list thread. It's on the other hand pretty silly to engage in
>> any sort of extended interactive assistance on it.
>
> That's been my experience as well.  The QA format is pretty great for some stuff, but
breaks down fast when I have to ask for log files and things of that nature.

> Another thought.  Sometimes I wonder how hard it would be to just allow tagging and
voting on top of a plain mailing list emails.  A simple DB with the messageId as the key
for tags and vote count then a slightly fancier archive view than we have now.   And hey,
markdown happens to look nice as plain email.  I've actually been indenting code snippets
for years.