community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Capturing mail (was Re: Stackoverflow)
Date Sat, 14 May 2011 10:20:09 GMT
Sent from my mobile device (so please excuse typos)

On 13 May 2011, at 02:31, David Blevins <david.blevins@gmail.com> wrote:

> For me tagging and voting and (i forgot) the marking the question answered (thanks, Benson)
are the parts I would love.

> I write some really good responses sometimes and even *I* have a hard time finding some
of my old responses in the list archive haystack.

Right. I always ask users to provide a patch if they find an answer in the mailing list useful.
Of course it rarely happens (even with devs).

Keeping things simple, could we provide a feature in the CMS that simply copies a mail from
our archives (with backlinks) into the CMS system for the appropriate project?

A link to this could also be provided in the footer of each mail (only works for committers).

In the CMS we could have some magic system to build an index.

I appreciate this has now moved away from stack overflow (I changed the subject) but for any
Perl hackers looking for something useful to do on a weekend I would certainly use such a
feature.

This could grow to fancy tagging, tracking and more. But I believe thus is a reasonably simple
thin to do that would provide immediate benefits.

Ross

> And to avoid the "tag names can be spam" issue having so that only committers can introduce
new tags would be fine for me.  It could be a file in svn or something else equally lame but
functional.