community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache project guidelines docs += independence?
Date Tue, 17 May 2011 13:08:36 GMT
On 16/05/2011 17:36, Shane Curcuru wrote:
> A number of different issues recently about commercial influence in our
> projects have had me thinking about the importance that Apache projects
> are managed independently. Since this isn't explicitly stated in the
> obvious places, I wrote a little essay for my personal blog:
>
> http://communityovercode.com/2011/05/apache-projects-are-independent/
>
> Comments? I think as the ASF grows up, and as some of our projects are
> on the way to scoring mega stardom, it's important to ensure both that
> our projects can continue to manage themselves independently, but also
> to *explain* to the world that this is important to us, and why.
>
> Do people like this? Where would be a good place to put it in /dev or
> the community site as a requirement for Apache projects?

Yes, I like it and it seems others do too. I propose adding a section
that says.

I propose changing the "Starting Points" section of the homepage to just
have the following entry points:

* Newcomers
* Contributors
* Committers
* Event organisers and speakers

These will lead to index pages with info such as:

Newcomers:
   mentoring programme
   newbie faq
   local mentors

Contributors
   independence
   Apache Way
   foundation

Committers
   Independence
   Being a mentor

Event organisers and speakers
   Local speaker app
   Slidedecks
   Concom

of course others are welcome to start work on this, or similar)

Ross