community-dev mailing list archives

From siddharth srivastava <akssps...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: low gsoc popularity this year?
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 20:06:43 GMT
Hi

"The Apache Software Foundation" appears as "Apache Software Foundation" on
melange.

I have myself applied for GSoC this year, so just putting in my two cents:

One of the possible reasons according to me is the Jira interface. Most of
the visitors are unaware of the Jira interface and how issues and projects
are managed on it.

A better wiki interface which could include the things as follows:

- Project Name:
- Mentor Name:(preferable contact point: Mailing List/personal email)
- A description of the corresponding project (like we have Derby Test and
Fix  so it can include what is the project about, its scope etc. )
- Link to the appropriate Jira issues that can be included in this project
(if there are jira issues)
- Pre-requisites of what the student should know (this is what helps a lot
in selecting new projects )

I hope that can help in building a better platform.

Thanks

--
Regards
Siddharth Srivastava