community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <ross.gard...@oucs.ox.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Newbie
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2011 21:41:02 GMT
On 26/04/2011 13:43, Nuwan Arambage wrote:
> I have gone through the filters that you have already sent me.I'm
> interested to work on issues which is suitable for beginner. As I
> mentioned earlier, my interest is to get hands dirty in project
> related to web services or message queues.I fond of those technical
> areas.

Do any of the web services projects [1] have issues labelled GSoC or mentor?

> I was trying to getting familiar with Apache ActiveMQ and Apache CXF
> recently but it is at basic stage.I would be very exiting to hear if
> you could arrange a way to approach those communities or any other
> web services project community .

The easiest way to engage those communities is to simply approach them
in the way you have approached us. However, as I said before they will
not really interested in holding your hand too much - you have to do
some of the work yourself.

We don't know your skills, your interests or your objectives. So it's
not really possible for us to select issues for you. If there are any
labelled GSoC or mentor then the projects have indicated that these
should be at an appropriate level for a novice.

As I said earlier see if you can find an issue of interest and post it
here (or go direct to the project community with it).

Once you give us an idea of what you want to do we or the project
community can help you get started.

If there are no suitable issues you can find then the best thing to do
is subscribe to the mailing lists and read the traffic passing by.
install the software of interest, work through tutorials. When you find
something is not well documented (and you will), ask for support on the
user list and provide patches to the docs in "payment" for that support.

As time passes you will get a feel for what the community is doing,
where they are heading and what needs to be done. Eventually, you'll
find you see something that you can do to get started.

Ross

[1] http://projects.apache.org/indexes/pmc.html#Apache%20Web%20Services

--
Ross Gardler