community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Regarding Community Bonding
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2011 21:29:42 GMT
On 28/04/2011 19:38, siddharth srivastava wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am a GSoC 2011 student for Derby.

Welcome to the ASF

> This email addresses a topic a bit different from the usual gsoc recommended
> "community bonding".
>
> I was just wondering that is there a channel/group for gsoc students or
> apache mentoring programme students and other interested people to interact,
> share ideas and get familiar with each other ?

Currently we don't have anything like that, no. There may be some
interest in the idea though. I'd suggest the right location is right here.

Admins, do you think this is a good idea? If so can you send out an
email to mentors encouraging them to notify their students.

> In my opinion, there should be a channel ( preferably IRC like #apache-soc
> or #apache-discuss ) so that students and experienced developers from all
> over Apache may get a platform for knowing each other. I think that would be
> important and nice for developers/students/other related people to get
> familiar.

We don't use IRC as official channels for communications as they are
synchronous and thus not good for a community that is distributed across
the globe. However there are a few informal ASF channels, not being an
IRC user I'm not sure what they are. Perhaps someone else here can tell you.

Ross