community-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: low gsoc popularity this year?
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:57:59 GMT
On 4/6/2011 7:01 AM, Kathey Marsden wrote:
> On 4/6/2011 1:40 AM, Sagara Gunathunga wrote:
>> May be gathering such small factors will help to reach high popularity
>> in next time.  Thanks Ulrich to bring this topic for a discussion.

One thing that occurred to me on this topic as I was looking at the
scoring of the two very good proposals we got this year for Derby is
that one thing that changed is that I think we probably filtered out
quite a few less serious applicants at the community level by making it
clear what the expectations are.  In prior years I think we got at least
a few proposals from people that had not yet contributed or ramped up on
the project and some I can recall that were not much more than just a
cut and paste  of the abstract.  I think it is fine that noise is gone.
It was not a good use of the student's time to submit them  or the
mentor's time to sift through them.