community-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: low gsoc popularity this year?
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 17:26:15 GMT
On 4/6/2011 8:32 AM, Zhijie Shen wrote:
> I'm a student that will apply GSoC'11 with Apache. From the perspective of a
> student, I think one reason is that the idea list of Apache projects is
> released a bit late. In fact, a number of other organizations released the
> idea list long time before the organization application deadline. Hence some
> of students who are not patient enough tend to apply with these early
> organizations. Just my personal feeling :-)
This is a very important point.  I do think in the past the list was
published earlier and we had lots of students that came into Derby early
and got their build and test environment set up and an issue or two
fixed before the application was submitted.   I am guessing a lot of the
students that might have come to Apache went off to other projects for
this reason.

Kathey