community-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: low gsoc popularity this year?
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 15:27:20 GMT

On Apr 6, 2011, at 6:13 PM, Sean Owen wrote:

> Is anyone else's historical success rate low or is it just me?

My experience with GSoC included successes, failures, and outcomes somewhere in the middle
(e.g. a project was delivered, but we never integrated it in the codebase, and it was left
to rot in the repo). Our conclusion was that the type of task you post for your students to
do plays a very important role in this (the last discussion on that is here: http://markmail.org/message/qg2ovoiwtcp3eji5
). Most of the applying students are not already active hackers on a project, so giving them
tasks requiring massive changes to the sensitive areas of the code is one recipe for disaster,
and there are more...

Andrus