community-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Scoring student proposals
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2011 19:31:27 GMT
On 3/30/2011 12:13 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> For what it's worth I've also made it clear that making these changes at this point is
totally unreasonable. This is creating work for our admins - like they need more work.

It is strange that every year they seem to work on melange, it is always
different but I can't say that  it has ever improved.  Maybe there is
something intrinsically hard about developing an application that is
used just once a year.
Certainly it is not helpful to introduce such  changes to  students,
mentors and admins  the day the program kicks off.
> If there are a number of issues like this I strongly suggest considering using a spreadsheet
for the evaluation (assuming the new interface enables us to export the data). The reason
I say this is that this system has been evolved and fine tuned over the last 6 years. It has
been very hard developing a system that everyone feels is fair, trying to come up with a new
one now will require new documentation and discussion.

I agree we should do what is needed to keep our  rubric even if we have
to supplement melange with a spreadsheet or whatever to determine the
proper ranking and then input it to match the  new  software.    Maybe
when the scoring period starts mentors should just put each score as
part of a comment as described in our process[1]  but not assign actual
points.   Then at least the scores and the reasons should be visible to
the community  while we figure out how to conform to the new system

Thanks

Kathey

[1]http://community.apache.org/mentee-ranking-process.html