community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Univ. Field Experience
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2011 13:33:53 GMT
On 17/03/2011 13:20, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2011, at 8:25 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>>
>>> Do I need Board approval?  I think as an Officer of the ASF I can
>>> do some of this, but want to make sure I'm proceeding correctly.
>>
>> No need to bother the Board. It's in our charter to provide
>> whatever support you need. It's nice to have a real test case to
>> flesh out the ideas here at the ASF.
>
> Specifically, I need to fill out the form at
> http://sils.unc.edu/programs/field-experience/new-site-form
>
> I would like to fill out the Site Name and Address as the ASF and my
> name as the site supervisor.  Does that seem OK?

I don't see any reference to terms and conditions or other such legal
stuff. Assuming that this form does not bind us in any way to anything
we don't already offer through ComDev then that's fine. As far as I'm
concerned you can go ahead with this on a lazy consensus basis.

Who do you plan to put down under:

"Contact information for site supervisor (include name, title, e-mail,
and phone number): "

In many ways I think that should be this list. We have a list of
projects that are suitable for students and I'd like to make these
available to SILS. Putting ComDev down means you don't have to worry
about approaches from people in other areas.

On the other hand, the definition of "site supervisor" [1] is that of a
mentor in our language. The responsibilities are very similar to those
of our mentors (in fact I think I'll steal the couple that are missing
in our definition of a mentor)

Perhaps the best way forward is for you to do it this year as "site
supervisor" and, if you feel it is appropriate, link them to ComDev to
explore a more complete offering from the ASF as a whole.

Ross

[1]
http://sils.unc.edu/programs/field-experience/roles-and-responsibilities#site-supervisor