community-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Stärk <...@spielviel.de>
Subject Re: [GSOC] Please review Application
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2011 16:10:37 GMT
Here's the Saros text:

Saros provides a way for distributed developers to work together in real-time over the Internet
and
includes additional features supporting "distributed party programming", a looser type of
collaboration. Saros is considered useful for virtual communities (as typically found in open
source
projects) in a number of distinct development scenarios, including: pair programming, code
reviewing, coaching and side-by-side programming.

Uli

On 07.03.2011 15:54, Ross Gardler wrote:
> [...]
>
>>> The Apache Software Foundation hope to help students to get in touch with
>>> Opensource. Beside this we try to teach them how to develop and communicate
>>> in a multi-culture organisation. All this will help them to get some
>>> "real-world" expirience which will hopefully help them later in their
>>> career.
>>
>> I wouldn't put emphasis on the career part. I think Googles motivation is to advocate
open source,
>> the application should reflect this.
>
> This isn't about Googles motivation, it's about ours. It wouldn't jurt to mention raising
awareness
> of our work though.
>
>>> Did your organization participate in past GSoCs? If so, please summarize
>>> your involvement and the successes and challenges of your participation.
>>>
>>> The ASF participate in many GSoCs yet.
>
> All GSoCs to date
>

>> We had many success within the last
>>> years. Many "prior" Students are now part of the community (committers) or
>>> even part of the PMC.  So the GSoC helped us (and our projects) to grew and
>>> to build a better community around various projects.
>
> a few are even members
>
>>> If your organization participated in past GSoCs, please let us know the
>>> ratio of students passing to students allocated, e.g. 2006: 3/6 for 3 out of
>>> 6 students passed in 2006.
>>>
>>> .... (To be added)
>
> This has to be checked in the admin system, for some reason I can't get to that data
(won't let me
> log in) Noirin, Luciano can you see it?
>
>>> What is the URL for your ideas page?
>>>
>>> http://s.apache.org/gsoc2011tasks
>
> That link says "The selected filter with id '12315354' does not exist.
>
> If you think this message is wrong, please consult your administrators about getting
the necessary
> permissions. "
>
> I'm logged in with my JIRA user
>
>>> What is the main development mailing list for your organization? This
>>> question will be shown to students who would like to get more information
>>> about applying to your organization for GSoC 2011. If your organization uses
>>> more than one list, please make sure to include a description of the list so
>>> students know which to use.
>>>
>>> No central list, see the lists of Apache projects at http://www.apache.org/and
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/
>
> Students may approach the GSOC Admins via dev@community.apache.org
>
>>> Does your organization have an application template you would like to see
>>> students use? If so, please provide it now. Please note that it is a very
>>> good idea to ask students to provide you with their contact information as
>>> part of your template. Their contact details will not be shared with you
>>> automatically via the GSoC 2011 site.
>>>
>>> No
>
> Probably expand here (if the form allows) with something like:
>
> Each one of our 100+ projects defines their own requirements for individual students.
We require
> that students have already engaged with the project community and thus contact details
are known.
> For administrative purposes we use the standard form provided by Melange.
>
>>> What criteria did you use to select the individuals who will act as mentors
>>> for your organization? Please be as specific as possible.
>>>
>>> The Apache Software Foundation uses the Meritocracy principle to recognize
>>> community contributors which are voted by other community members to receive
>>> "committer karma" for a given project. These committers will be able to
>>> propose ideas and volunteer as mentors for the selected project ideas.
>
> I'd add something like:
>
> "We expect our mentors to work with our admins and other experienced mentors. Our evaluation
process
> gives priority to those who, through the meritocratic process, have demonstrated a willingness
to do
> this.
>
>>> As for Administrators, we are using a set 4 admins/co-admins.
>
> These admins are supported by past admins through out Apache Community Development Project
> (http://community.apache.org)
>
>>> What is your plan for dealing with disappearing students?
>>>
>>> We will try to filter on them in the select process and do our best to
>>> "detect" this as soon as possible. Beside this each project/mentor will keep
>>> an eye on this
>
> I'd replace this with something like:
>
> "We work hard to filter potentially disappearing students during the application phases.
Over the
> years we have been reasonably successful in defining application processes and selection
criteria
> that guard against this. However, it is impossible to spot such cases with 100% accuracy.
Mentors
> are expected to make all reasonable efforts to contact a disappearing student through
all
> communication channels we have available. However, as an all volunteer organisation we
do not
> require mentors to actively seek missing students."
>

>>> What is your plan for dealing with disappearing mentors?
>>>
>>> Considering the ASF is a foundation, not a single project, we the admins
>>> would ask for the project PMC to indicate a substitute mentor or provide
>>> co-mentors for the selected projects.
>
> In all the years of GSoC we have never had a problem with lack of mentoring. In all cases
where a
> mentor has had to step down a replacement has been found.
>
>>> What steps will you take to encourage students to interact with your
>>> project's community before, during and after the program?
>>>
>>> We try to treat the students like a part of the community and try to assist
>>> them. This way they feel like be a part of the ASF. This helps to keep them
>>> motivated.
>>
>> Prior to submitting a proposal, students are required to discuss their ideas with
the respective
>> project communities. This is an explicit point we consider when ranking student proposals.
During