community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [GSOC] Please review Application
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2011 14:54:32 GMT
On 07/03/2011 10:50, Ulrich Stärk wrote:

>> The Apache Software Foundation hope to help students to get in touch with
>> Opensource. Beside this we try to teach them how to develop and communicate
>> in a multi-culture organisation. All this will help them to get some
>> "real-world" expirience which will hopefully help them later in their
>> career.
>
> I wouldn't put emphasis on the career part. I think Googles motivation is to advocate
open source,
> the application should reflect this.

This isn't about Googles motivation, it's about ours. It wouldn't jurt
to mention raising awareness of our work though.

>> Did your organization participate in past GSoCs? If so, please summarize
>> your involvement and the successes and challenges of your participation.
>>
>> The ASF participate in many GSoCs yet.

All GSoCs to date

> We had many success within the last
>> years. Many "prior" Students are now part of the community (committers) or
>> even part of the PMC.  So the GSoC helped us (and our projects) to grew and
>> to build a better community around various projects.

a few are even members

>> If your organization participated in past GSoCs, please let us know the
>> ratio of students passing to students allocated, e.g. 2006: 3/6 for 3 out of
>> 6 students passed in 2006.
>>
>> .... (To be added)

This has to be checked in the admin system, for some reason I can't get
to that data (won't let me log in) Noirin, Luciano can you see it?

>> What is the URL for your ideas page?
>>
>> http://s.apache.org/gsoc2011tasks

That link says "The selected filter with id '12315354' does not exist.

If you think this message is wrong, please consult your administrators
about getting the necessary permissions. "

I'm logged in with my JIRA user

Students may approach the GSOC Admins via dev@community.apache.org

>> Does your organization have an application template you would like to see
>> students use? If so, please provide it now. Please note that it is a very
>> good idea to ask students to provide you with their contact information as
>> part of your template. Their contact details will not be shared with you
>> automatically via the GSoC 2011 site.
>>
>> No

Probably expand here (if the form allows) with something like:

Each one of our 100+ projects defines their own requirements for
individual students. We require that students have already engaged with
the project community and thus contact details are known. For
administrative purposes we use the standard form provided by Melange.

>> What criteria did you use to select the individuals who will act as mentors
>> for your organization? Please be as specific as possible.
>>
>> The Apache Software Foundation uses the Meritocracy principle to recognize
>> community contributors which are voted by other community members to receive
>> "committer karma" for a given project. These committers will be able to
>> propose ideas and volunteer as mentors for the selected project ideas.

I'd add something like:

"We expect our mentors to work with our admins and other experienced
mentors. Our evaluation process gives priority to those who, through the
meritocratic process, have demonstrated a willingness to do this.

>> As for Administrators, we are using a set 4 admins/co-admins.

These admins are supported by past admins through out Apache Community
Development Project (http://community.apache.org)

>> What is your plan for dealing with disappearing students?
>>
>> We will try to filter on them in the select process and do our best to
>> "detect" this as soon as possible. Beside this each project/mentor will keep
>> an eye on this

I'd replace this with something like:

"We work hard to filter potentially disappearing students during the
application phases. Over the years we have been reasonably successful in
defining application processes and selection criteria that guard against
this. However, it is impossible to spot such cases with 100% accuracy.
Mentors are expected to make all reasonable efforts to contact a
disappearing student through all communication channels we have
available. However, as an all volunteer organisation we do not require
mentors to actively seek missing students."

>> What is your plan for dealing with disappearing mentors?
>>
>> Considering the ASF is a foundation, not a single project, we the admins
>> would ask for the project PMC to indicate a substitute mentor or provide
>> co-mentors for the selected projects.

In all the years of GSoC we have never had a problem with lack of
mentoring. In all cases where a mentor has had to step down a
replacement has been found.

>> What steps will you take to encourage students to interact with your
>> project's community before, during and after the program?
>>
>> We try to treat the students like a part of the community and try to assist
>> them. This way they feel like be a part of the ASF. This helps to keep them
>> motivated.
>
> Prior to submitting a proposal, students are required to discuss their ideas with the
respective
> project communities. This is an explicit point we consider when ranking student proposals.
During
> the program, our students should work together with their community in all technical
matters. All
> students are encouraged to participate in their project after GSoC ends. Some might even
be granted
> committer access based on their contributions.

+1

Perhaps adding "It is policy at the ASF that project related decisions
are not made in private, consequently students are required to
participate in the community if they want their code to be included." at
the start of the above para.

>> If you are a large organization who is vouching for a small organization
>> applying to GSoC for their first time this year, please list their name and
>> why you think they'd be good candidates for GSoC here:
>>
>> Simal:
>>   - A project registry using DOAP for data harvesting and sharing
>>   - http://simal.googlecode.com

Note this is a day job project, so I am biased. However...

"This is a good candidate as it is run by Ross Gardler, 5 times GSoC
admin and 3 times mentor for the ASF, as such the project team
understand the GSoC processes and expectations. It is an interesting
project that is attempting to use linked data to expose community
activity in open source projects. Although it is in late alpha stages it
is starting to attract attention from a small but passionate community.
At present it has a focus on open source produced in academic research
projects, but it can be used in much broader contexts."

>> Saros:
>>   - Distributed Collaborative Editing and Distributed Party Programming
>>   - http://www.saros-project.org/
>
> We should state a reason why we think these are good canditates for GSoC. I'll have 1-2
sentences
> prepared for Saros.
>

>> Backup Admin (Link ID):
>>
>> Uli ... ( More to be added)

If you want to add me (rgardler) it will enable me to keep an eye on the
status and help you with the interface if necessary. It's not a
complicated webtool, but it might help to have someone who is familar.

Ross

--
rgardler@apache.org
@rgardler